Impediments to switching to qmail
Note: I do not consider all of these to be drawbacks to qmail. Some
are, some are not. But they are all impediments to switching from
sendmail to qmail.
- Daniel J. Bernstein's reputation for being uncompromising.
- No permission to distribute modified source.
- No multiple RCPTs.
- No conditional acceptance of mail via qmail-smtpd.
- Sysadmin needs to change /etc/aliases and /etc/sendmail.cf(but see).
- Users need to change .forward files (but see).
- Queue management can only be done when qmail is stopped.
- Needs real "user" documentation.
- Timestamps in UTC
- Does not merge mailing lists to eliminate duplicate local deliveries.
- Imperfect /usr/lib/sendmail emulation.
- Limited control over rescheduling delivery attempts (no sendmail -qR).
- Header rewriting via virtualdomain feels "clumsy".
- smtpd doesn't automatically repair bad messages submitted by smtp clients.
Last modified: Fri Jul 17 17:00:54 EDT 1998